Marie Sotelo is a former lawyer turned freelance writer. After leaving the law, she leveraged her legal experience to become a go-to ghostwriter for entrepreneurs and chief executives in the law, compliance, and risk management space. She firmly believes that money is a means to an end—lifestyle freedom; and that you really CAN do anything with a law degree. She now helps other freelancers make smart money moves in their business and teaches other lawyers how to launch a writing side hustle.
In this episode, we discuss:
- Marie had been hoping to do environmental law in some capacity, but that didn’t pan out
- She ended up at the Customs & Border Protection Agency for a decade
- Working within such an entrenched bureaucracy eventually got too stifling
- She developed anxiety and depression (it’s not just big law that can impact you in that way)
- Her family moved and she decided to take time off to focus on raising her son
- She got into part-time freelance grant writing, testing it first with some volunteer jobs
- Marie worried about finances and wanted to do something that could sustain her family, if needed, but also be flexible
- She transitioned to content writing for law firms
- Freelance writing is a great thing to experiment with on the side, and build up some extra funds
- She’s built a life and career around her values and priorities
You can find Marie on…
Connect with Megan!
Lawyer’s Escape Call: http://bit.ly/escapecall
Lawyer’s Escape Plan Quiz: http://bit.ly/lawyersescaperoutequiz